10.25.2010

Discernment

In the midst of sensing that I'll be making some big decisions in the near future, I was encouraged to read through George Mueller's description of how he sought God's will when making decisions about the orphan houses God used him to establish. I hope this is as helpful to y'all as it has been to me.

"I seek at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in regard to a given matter...Having done this, I do not leave the result to feeling or simple impression. If so, I make myself liable to great delusions. I seek the Will of the Spirit of God through, or in connection with, the Word of God...If the Holy Ghost guides us at all, He will do it according to the Scriptures and never contrary to them. Next I take into account providential circumstances. These often plainly indicate God's Will in connection with His Word and Spirit. I ask God in prayer to reveal His Will to me aright. Thus, through prayer to God, the study of the Word, and reflection, I come to a deliberate judgement according to the best of my ability and knowledge, and if my mind is thus at peace, and continues so after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordingly."

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah 30:21

No comments:

Post a Comment